The Town Hall with its splendid renaissance facade dominates the Market Square. Local master-builder Leonhard Weidmann designed and built this most imposing example of renaissance architecture north of the Alps between 1572 and 1578.
This was the site of a double-fronted gothic building dating from 1250, which can still be seen on one of the panels by the painter Friedrich Herlin on the main altar of the Church of St. Jacob.
While the eastern part of the building burned to the ground in 1501, the western part with the barrow bell tower has survived intact to the present day.
The strictly horizontal lines of the windows and cornices are only interrupted by the simple tower and the tall corner oriel.
The baroque-style arcade was added in 1681. The arms of the seven Electoral Princes decorate the arches.